The Salzburg synagogue is located at Lasserstrasse 8, not far from Linzergasse in the Schallmoos district.

The erection of the original synagogue goes back to an initiative by the Bohemian manufacturer Ignaz Glaser, who made considerable financial resources available for this as early as 1891. However, it was not until 1901 that the construction project was completed. It was not until the Jewish New Year celebrations of that year that the building erected by Prof. Gottlieb Winkler could finally be used as a prayer room.

Due to official regulations at the time, the synagogue is set back a few meters from the street, probably so that it is no longer so easily visible. In the course of the November pogrom in 1938, the center of Jewish life in the Salzburg state capital was completely destroyed.

All inventory was torn out, the windows ripped out, so that essentially only the foundations were left. After the Second World War, only the most rudimentary work could be carried out on the building. The synagogue was only able to be completely repaired and renovated in the years 1967 to 1968 thanks to significant support from private donors. It was possible to restore the historical facade.

The synagogue as it is today follows the orthodox rite of separation between men and women during prayer. This is achieved by a women’s section located at the back of the prayer room and separated from the men’s section by a curtain. Men’s and women’s departments have separate entrances on the south side of the building.

The prayer room is equipped with fixed seating with desks, it has a total of 128 seats, of which 85 are in the men’s and 43 in the women’s section. In the middle of the men’s section, above the room level, is the Bimah, the desk for reading the Torah. On the east side is the marble-clad Torah ark, which is adorned with an antique Torah curtain (parochet) from the Burgenland town of Deutschkreuz.

The administrative premises of the Jewish Community can be found in the eastern part of the building, to be reached via a separate entrance.