Cemetery

The cemetery of the Salzburg Jewish community is far outside the city center, in southerly direction on the S-Bahn line to Hallein and Golling in the Aigen district. The cemetery area at Uferstrasse 47 was laid out in 1893.

Previously, Jews had to be buried in the city’s municipal cemetery or transferred to external Jewish cemeteries, which was a laborious process. In 1932 the area was expanded.

During the Second World War, the cemetery was desecrated and some of its grave monuments were robbed; today there are around 450 graves.

In addition to the older graves located right at the entrance, the memorial stones that are supposed to commemorate the grave monuments that were destroyed and stolen during the Nazi-era are important.

Also striking is the burial field in the new part of the site, which includes around 200 graves of so-called displaced persons of the post-war period, who died in the Salzburg camps and found their final resting place there. Among them are a particularly large number of mothers and children, for whom there are impressive commemorative plaques.

There are also two buildings on the site. The Tahara-house, which is used for the ritual washing of the deceased. And the so-called gatehouse that was newly built in 2000/2001.

The city of Salzburg has gratefully taken on the horticultural care of the entire cemetery.